Monday, February 18, 2008

A Bit Over Due

I could use some more time but then so could everyone. There have been a few things added to my schedule this semester and that has taken a big chunk of time from my down time. Not a day goes by without my mind thinking about the 24" gauge.

The twenty four inch gauge is an instrument used by operative masons to measure and lay out their work. But we as Free and Accepted Masons are taught to make use of it for more noble and glorious purposes. It being divided into 24 equal parts is emblematical of the 24 hours in a day where are to be found eight hours for service to God and our neighbor, eight for our usual vocations and eight for refreshment and rest.

That is the best I can remember my lesson on the Gauge. The part most convicting to me is how easily I forget the first and last eight hours particularly the last. When time gets out of hand why do we sacrifice rest. I am constantly battling or cheating the measurement of my life this semester. Thank God for spring break.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I get a kick out of Angle-centric symbolism. The 24 inch rule had little to do with anything until quite recently. The CUBIT of 30 divisions was the standard of antiquity.

But the craft would never let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to spin a good tall yarn.